The company is looking for new team members to work in the HVAC-R focused team helping clients to reduce refrigeration emissions and improve efficiency.
Thermal Modelling Engineer
Start date: ASAP
Logistics (including trucks, ships, warehouses and shops) is a vital enabler of global trade and urban living. It is though energy intensive, globally consuming 12,400TWh per year or 7.5x the UK’s total energy usage! It also contributes nearly 10% of global CO2 emissions. To avoid dangerous climate change whilst maintaining our way of life, it is therefore essential that we find ways to decarbonise logistics.
Flexible Power Systems (FPS) combines large scale data analytics with cutting edge energy technologies to develop holistic decarbonisation solutions for our clients who are some of the UK’s largest retailers and logistics providers.
We are seeking a Thermal Modelling Engineer to join the growing team at FPS and help us to further expand our offering in relation to heating ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC-R). Currently we are delivering research projects working with some of the UK’s largest refrigeration users, exploring new techniques for reducing the cost and carbon footprint of their cooling systems. These projects are likely to continue to site demonstrations over the next 12 months requiring our team to expand.
As a modelling engineer, you will work with our team, project partners and customers to understand their HVAC, refrigeration and other system requirements, existing hardware and operations at target sites. You will then combine that information into system models to test new forms of control and integration with new technologies.
You will contribute to:
- Surveying Client Site and Data Resources by reviewing and selecting available customer data in a way that enables both you and the team to make best use of it. You will also contribute to cleaning and tying these data sets together to inform technical and economic modelling.
- System Modelling by using your technical expertise to analyse current operations and then model physical and operational changes as part of a review of options using large volumes of system and energy consumption data.
- Advancing Proprietary Models by combining customer and lab data to extend, validate and calibrate sub-component and system level models
- Control Algorithm Development by working with control engineers to develop system control algorithms that can be tested in modelling, lab and field environments.
- Creating business opportunities: through collaboration with the operations and EV teams you will help to develop stand-alone and integrated business opportunities for decarbonisation for our clients.
A degree level qualification or higher in a relevant engineering discipline is necessary with at least 3 years industrial experience of modelling and practical thermal systems including HVAC and commercial refrigeration.
Prior experience of the following is desirable:
- Thermal systems cycle and heat transfer modelling, analysis and validation
- Optimisation problems
- Vapour compression cycles
- Building energy modelling
- Large scale refrigeration systems
- Client/customer interactions
- Refrigeration bureau operations
- Project management
- Database environments
Experience or interest in the following fields would be highly beneficial:
- Energy systems (vehicles, stationary (on and off grid))
- Thermal and electrical energy storage and generation technologies
- Logistics (warehousing, vehicles or retail environments)
- Electric vehicles
Useful software skills include:
- Python / MATLAB / C/C++
- Modelica / Dymola
- Salary grade for this role is £40-55k depending on experience and qualifications.
- The company operates a pension scheme that it contributes 3% of salary to your 5%.
- Whilst the company does not yet offer an equity ownership scheme it is management’s intention that one will be established for qualifying employees during 2020.
- Holiday entitlement is 25 days p.a. excluding bank holidays following probation.
- The Company’s offices are in South West London near Clapham Junction station.
- The role will also require travel to UK and overseas clients and partners from time to time.
Successful CVs will progress to interviews in London with FPS’s leadership team.