Start date: ASAP
Job Type: Full-time
Logistics (including trucks, ships, warehouses and shops) are a vital enabler of global trade and urban living. However, not only is it energy intensive, globally consuming 12,400TWh per year or 7.5x the UK’s total energy usage, but it also contributes to nearly 10% of global CO2 emissions. To avoid dangerous climate change whilst maintaining our way of life, it is essential that we find ways to decarbonise logistics.
Flexible Power Systems (FPS) is a technology company that combines large scale data analysis, simulation, and hardware engineering to build advanced energy solutions with some of the UK’s largest retailers and logistics providers.
We are seeking a full-time DevOps engineer to work with our engineering and analysis teams to help develop a platform that interfaces with a wide range of devices like electric vehicle chargers, battery storage systems and site metering as well as several client logistics systems (e.g. transport planning and warehouse management).
This is a key piece of infrastructure in FPS’ eco-system that connects its optimisation algorithms and proprietary hardware to customer systems.
The role has considerable scope for development. You will be paired with an experienced CTO who will help you develop both your engineering and system architecture skills as you deliver the project in collaboration withFPS’ controls lead.
You will contribute to:
- System Architecture: by working with FPS’ technical team and advisors to confirm platform requirements.
- Establishing the Environment: constructing an environment suitable for our current pilot deployments that can be scaled in future across thousands of pieces of equipment.
- Integrating Devices and client systems: working with the controls team to develop communication interfaces and protocols for a range of energy technologies and customer systems.
- Implementing Proprietary FPS tools: FPS has a range of proprietary forecasting and optimisation tools developed in Python with customer data that need to be deployed in this environment. You will work with the analyst teams to implement these tools on the platform.
- Maintaining the Platform: whilst the platform will evolve significantly overtime and require new development cycles, it will also need to be maintained and updated as the pilot projects progress.
The role requires substantial amounts of development in environments like Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure. So demonstrable experience of development in a professional or an educational context is essential.
Whilst we will provide training and support, useful skills include:
- Cloud technologies like GCP, Azure or AWS
- Docker or Kubernetes
- Communications protocols (e.g. OCPP)
- Python or Java
Prior experience of the following is desirable:
- DevOps engineering on Linux systems
- Database environments
- Communications networks and iot
Experience or interest in the following fields would be highly beneficial:
- Energy systems (vehicles, stationary (on and off grid))
- Mechanical and electrical energy storage and generation technologies
- Logistics (warehousing, vehicles or retail environments)
- Salary grade for this role is £45-60k depending on experience and qualifications.
- The company operates a pension scheme that it contributes 3% of salary to your 5%.
- The company is establishing an EMI scheme this year to offer staff equity participation in the business.
- Holiday entitlement is 25 days p.a. excluding bank holidays following probation.
- The Company’s offices are in South West London near Clapham Junction station though remote working is available to all staff on an ongoing basis.
Please submit a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful CVs will progress to interviews with FPS’s leadership team.